Friday, November 06, 2009

Book club

I have lots of great knitting books. I have so many patterns -- old magazines, new magazines, crazy patterns I would never knit, multi-coloured intarsia sweaters I love to look at but would never wear, and lots and lots of things I would enjoy knitting and wearing, some I've been meaning to make for years! I don't have a yarn stash that threatens to overwhelm me, but the patterns -- certainly I've reached SABLE* status with them!

So. What to do?

I have 2 sweaters for myself on the needles right now. I have 2 socks partly done. I have at least 2 blankets on the go, which haven't seen action in ages.

I am supposed to be making 52 things in 52 weeks, and I have got 26 done in 22 weeks. Although I'm "supposed to" do this, no one is making me, and I am not going to do anything drastic because of this "commitment." (I can always spend the last 2 weeks churning out dishcloths and hats if need be!)

I am also "supposed to" spend Wednesdays working on UFOs. Ha. Haven't thought of that in a while, although one of the sweaters I'm working on these days is certainly a UFO.

What if I picked a book a month and made a small thing out of it?

I can't really just whip up an Alice Starmore aran sweater, or a Rowan Denim gansey, in a month, in between other projects, but I could do a swatch or two... try out a cable pattern or a Kaffe Fassett colour design on a small scale. At least flip through a book and spend a moment deciding what I really like?

I have enough Vogue Knitting issues to keep me busy for years with this plan.... This is a fact that doesn't cheer me...

Would that just lead to more UFOs, as I decide I really do want to make the full aran? Could I start yet another blanket project by saying I'll make all my swatches similar enough in colour and weight to sew them all together at the end of the year?

All this agonizing... Should I agonize about it? I'll ponder this book club idea, and maybe start next month. (That gives me a good three and a half weeks! I'll have completely changed my mind by then!)

All this hand-wringing makes me just want to sit and daydream about Daniel Craig:



*SABLE = Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy

1 comment:

  1. omg. daniel himself?! this is hilarious and just makes one love him all the more for being such a sport! mm :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.