Sunday, March 04, 2012

Hiding from teenage boys

Arthur is celebrating his 15th birthday today! There are a bunch of boys downstairs, playing D&D and eating junk. Which, of course, I provided.

Later I will give them pizza and cake:


I found this Kit Kat cake via Pinterest; here's the original


It's just a double-layer chocolate cake, iced and surrounded by Kit Kats, with Smarties on top!

My plain old birthday cake tends to be the Six-Minute Cake, which I knew in my childhood as Timmy Cake, since my cousin Tim used to make it a lot. Some people call it Wacky Cake. I was making cupcakes with it the other day to take to Elaine's class, as it was her birthday. There's a girl in the class who can't have dairy, egg whites or gluten, so a cake that she can eat has to be pretty darn special! But I was stirring things up and thought, "Huh, no eggs, no butter... All I would have to do is get some gluten-free flour!" So I did, and I made the recipe just as is, but with gluten-free flour and 2 tsps of baking soda rather than one. And it was perfect! Another triumph for Timmy Cake!

And now I've written this blog post; I think I will venture downstairs again to witness the chaos before ordering pizza. Luckily the next birthday is my own!

2 comments:

  1. So lovely. The original looks good too, but probably much harder to cut, what with the M&Ms flying everywhere.

    Did the boys even notice the color scheme, or were they too busy inhaling the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun cake!

    happy birthday to arthur!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.