Monday, November 06, 2017

Some ancient treasures

I have started in on the old family slides again. This is a multi-year project, but it won't get done if I never work on it! I have four big moving boxes full, and I now aim to get one emptied by Christmas. Perhaps a pipe-dream.

This is the house my parents lived in for a few years after my dad retired. It was our "cottage" for several years before that. The view was spectacular, but I haven't scanned those pictures yet! I know there is a whole tray of slides of that view!


My mom designed it and after the basic frame was put up my dad did all the carpentry work inside. I remember in 1980 or thereabouts they wanted to buy the lots next door, to ensure no close neighbours, and they asked my brother and I if we'd like to chip in, only $1000 for a quarter of a lot. Of course we couldn't afford anything like that! And of course it would have been a very good investment...

My dad collected the rocks and made the fireplace surround. It seemed perfectly normal at the time, but actually, quite the accomplishment! The little brass doodads on the wood are horse brasses. I now have a bag of aaaallll the horse brasses; must take pictures and show you some day.


The painting above the fireplace is of my three older siblings, painted by Heather Spears, once a student of my dad's. This photo makes it look tiny, but it's not. 

Dad on a Greek temple. I believe this is Sounion. They travelled a lot while they could. 


Now this is my mom, taken much earlier. We moved away from that house in 1976, I think. She was in her 50s I suppose. One never thinks "Mom = glamour-puss" at the time...


Stonehenge, either 1966 or 1972. Too bad all those big stones are there casting their big shadows!


This one is for sure 1972, Exeter Cathedral, with only the four of us in front! We are bundled up for the cold, but it seems to have been a nice sunny day, and we were out of school. Where is everyone else?


And finally, a picture which I think should be on the cover of some adventure novel for children! Somewhere in the Rockies, 1967. 


1 comment:

  1. Gadzooks! That one of mom is something, eh? And I do like the kids' adventure story, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.