Monday, February 26, 2018

Muffin Monday: Mom K's bran

As predicted, I had to find a recipe that needed buttermilk for this week's muffins. I got my little muffin book and found the one closest to the beginning: Mom K's Bran. It's not online anywhere, but it's a bit cute, so I'll just give it to you here.

Let your young cook try this recipe... so quick and easy... just one of each ingredient.

1 tbsp shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup natural bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

Cream shortening, sugar and egg in a large bowl. 
Combine dry ingredients.
Sift in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
Add raisins and stir until moistened.
Fill muffin cups and bake at 450ยบ F for 12-15 minutes. 

It's a pretty basic bran muffin, good for breakfast or a snack any time. You don't need to add the whole cup of sugar if you don't want, and you can, of course, use Craisins or even chocolate chips in place of raisins. I added a bit of vanilla, and a shake of cinnamon wouldn't be crazy.

Now the Olympics are over; I'm just watching a replay of the ice skating gala as I type this. I got my knitting medal and am ready to move on to some new, or maybe old, knitting.


More on that next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.